Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 122

Four months raw!

My (three-month old) camera had to be sent out to be repaired, so it's going to be cellphone pics or bust around here for the next couple weeks.

Yesterday was the close to the epitome of an idyllic summer day for me. I slept in until 9, cleaned out a closet and hauled out three garbage bags of junk, exercised on the treadmill and then showered all before noon. In the afternoon, I brought a blanket, a book, my knitting and quart of farmer's market strawberries outside and relaxed under a tree in the grass behind by building for a few hours. The perfect mix of getting stuff done and doing nothing.

There are two things that I struggle with that have made this last month of going raw less fulfilling for me than the previous ones: I wind up running the other way when confronted with dogma, and I want to be perfect. These are not new issues, and I know they both stem from getting kicked out of my church when I was a teenager. Being barred from the community that I had devoted myself to makes me question everything, and I cannot accept that there is only one way to live, that any human being has all the answers. However, not wanting to adhere to the rules is in direct competition with my need to prove my worth, to be the best at whatever I attempt.

I've been pushing myself to be more and more raw, more "pure." One by one, I cut out nuts, oils, spices, salt. I've been eating just fruit and veggies. I've felt pretty good physically, but mentally, it's been agonizing. I was craving cooked foods hardcore, and I would have given my right arm for savory. So two nights ago, I made a salad dressing: lemon juice, tahini, maple syrup, ginger, garlic and Nama Shoyu. 1/8 cup of that on a huge salad of spinach, cukes, peppers, basil and tomatoes and all was right in my world again.

I think that happiness is equally important as health, and if I had to choose one over the other, I'd rather be 100% happy than 100% healthy. And I don't necessarily think that cooked food = inherently unhealthy. I've had to step back from some of the raw communities I've been participating in, because sometimes the spiritualism and moralism associated with eating raw can be too much for me. Eating raw does not make me a better person. It does not foster compassion and kindness. It does not bring me closer to God. It's just a way of eating. I'm giving myself permission to step back, to enjoy food and preparing meals again. Still raw for now, keeping the fat around 10-15% of my total calories. But I'm making salad dressing.

I feel like this is a common theme in my blog, perpetual quandaries about what I should be doing versus what I want to be doing, making choices based on other people's perceptions versus making choices for myself. So many of the other raw blogs I read are so happy all the time, jiving with the universe and perfectly content with their raw lives. Part of me thinks that people just aren't talking about what a challenge it can be. I have days where I'm blissfully happy, and if I only blogged on those days, it would be a very skewed picture. Actually, I think I need to blog more when I'm happy, because I typically am. I don't think my blog accurately reflects that.

But other days are difficult. Even now, I feel a degree of guilt about taking a step back, that I haven't lived up to the standards I've set for myself, that I'm not trying hard enough. And maybe other bloggers are perfectly content. I don't know. But tomorrow is my girlfriend's birthday, and I'm going to take her out for a not-raw breakfast when she's off from work on Wednesday. And I'm going to enjoy myself without guilt. The next day, we're going to a pick-your-own farm for strawberries, and I have a feeling we'll mono-meal on them for the day. And I'll have fun. And that's what counts.

-Eloise

4 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

You said, "So many of the other raw blogs I read are so happy all the time, jiving with the universe and perfectly content with their raw lives. Part of me thinks that people just aren't talking about what a challenge it can be."

If you replace the word "raw" with "autism," that describes how I feel about a lot of blogs by parents of children with autism and that's just not reality. We have to write about what we feel, and that's not always perfect contentment OR what the world wants to see - but it IS reality.

Jeremy Logsdon said...

Eloise,

I for one have never found your blog to be particularly down or negative. It's very real, and frankly, your attitude about eating raw, vegan, and healthy is a lot more likely to get me to change my diet (if not completely, at least a bit more so) than a blog where everything is sunshine, roses, and raw veggies. That represents a viewpoint that I just can't quite grasp. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but reading about someone who struggles with it a bit makes it more real to me, who also struggles with diet changes, than with someone who is just, "This is what I do, and it's great, and you should do it to because it's great."

I'm actually happy to know that you are loosening your apron strings a bit, so to speak, and allowing yourself to enjoy food again. There is a healthy balance out there of good for you foods and the occasional indulgence (even if my indulgence is an ice cream sundae and yours is a slice of french bread :).

One of the things I like about your blog is that it feels real and isn't about standing on a soapbox, trying to convert the meat eaters. Frankly, I've read some vegan/vegetarian blogs that I didn't even feel welcome at as a reader because I eat meat. I've never felt that way here, which is a good thing.

Don't feel guilt for taking a step back. I wouldn't even view it as taking a step back, anyway. I know that I can't go into a diet and truly believe, "I am going to eat 1400 calories a day for the rest of my life, and I'm never going to enjoy another Chinese buffet again." It's not realistic. Cut yourself a little slack. And enjoy your non-raw breakfast. :)

Jeremy

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Autismom and Jeremy!

I know that I posted a reply to you yesterday, Autismom, but it looks like cyberspace ate it.

So as always, I love the support from you guys. It's just so amazing and fascinating that we all have different goals, but can relate to each other on a common ground. I do think that a lot of that comes from using our blogs as tools for our own means, instead of idyllic projections. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it that way. So sally forth we will with the good, the bad, the ugly, and hopefully a lot of laughter along the way. :)

Mad and I are going out for breakfast (well, brunch) now, and I can't wait!

-Eloise

Unknown said...

Hi Eloise, I just found your blog, and have really enjoyed looking through it. I really recommend the Raw Freedom Community, they are so awesome over there, and never judgemental. Very laid back, and the recipes are amazing. It is helping me on my journey, and not feeling guilty about certain choices helps me one day at a time! Try it over there (I'm hippimom) Mandy