Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 100: pt 2

Good morning, creatures!

I was thinking that my entry this morning sounded slightly dismal for a 100 day retrospective. So to supplement that, here's a list of the things I am loving about being raw:

1. Increased energy: I am definitely feeling better, lighter, less weighed down. When I eat all fruits and veggies, I don't feel tired or sluggish after eating.

2. Clear skin: That's one of my favorite changes so far. I rarely break out, and I've been leaving the house without makeup fairly frequently. You have no idea what an accomplishment that is for me. When I was 13, my best friend at the time joked that when I got married, I'd sneak out of bed after my husband went to sleep to wash my face and then get up before him to apply makeup and get back into bed. My, how things have changed.

3. Quick meals: It's true that making raw food can take days. But a salad can be thrown together in minutes and fruit can be eaten as is, and that's what I'm increasingly craving.

4. Getting into shape: I may not yet have a bikini body, but I do definitely have a tee shirt body again. In the last few months before going vegan, I was increasingly reluctant to wear more form-fitting clothes and opted for blousier tops. I'm sure obscuring my figure wasn't helping me to look thinner, but I wanted to hide the weight I was gaining. Although I haven't lost much weight, my stomach is flatter and I'm liking the way I look in clothes again.

5. Wanting to be more active: Changing my diet has encouraged me to start working out again, and that's where the real physical changes are going to come from.

6. Empowerment: I don't really know how to put this one into words, but being more decisive with my food choices has helped me to be more decisive with my words and actions. I feel more grounded and centered, and much more deliberate.

7: Connecting to nature: Wanting to get into shape has gotten me outdoors, and it feels so good to hike in the park and be surrounded by dirt and trees instead of cement and cars. I'm enjoying the sun in small, protected doses, and haven't gotten a sunburn yet this season.

8: Solidarity with Madeline: Like going vegan, eating raw is something that Mad and I have done together. We support each other and we hold each other accountable, and I couldn't imagine doing it without her.

9: Cheap groceries: We're really lucky to have a really inexpensive produce place nearby, and as we've cut way down on the nuts, our grocery bills are now lower than when we eating cooked food. We spend $30-$40 per week for the two of us, and we're eating really well.

10: Okay, I can't think of a 10, but you ending a list at 9 is just wrong. So, uh... oh, it's easier to wash dishes, cause most things we just rinse off, and there are no pots and pans to scrub. There you go, 10.

-Eloise

4 comments:

Jeremy Logsdon said...

Two comments - One, where do you get your protein, now that you've cut down on nuts? I've gathered that you are pretty active, so I'm curious as to where you are getting proteins to build and sustain muscle.

And two, I've seen a few photos here and there of the tattoos... How many do you have? Just curious, given you mention the tattoos in your profile. :)

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Jeremy!

There is a surprising amount of protiens in greens, so I've definitely been upping my intake with smoothies and salads. I also have a big bag of hemp protien powder in my fridge, though I have yet to break into it. Mostly I'm just trying to pay attention to my body. I feel heavy and weighed down when I eat too many nuts, but I feel so much better with fruits and veggies, so I'm going with it.

I actually just have two tattoos, one on my wrist and the larger one on my upper arm/shoulder. When I have the money, though, I have big plans! Mad has three tattoos and is getting another one in the near future. We're not heavily tattooed by any means, but I do think it contributes to the stereotype.

-Eloise

Sheri (green and crunchy) said...

# 10: Being Raw is great for the environment!

Over 100 days...wow! Good for you (both of you :)

Am in total agreement about being thankful for no pots and pans to scrub. That is tops on my list of Reasons I Love To Be Raw :)

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Sheri!

That is very true! I admit, it's an aspect I sometimes overlook, but there's minimal processing associated with everything we eat now and far less packaging. Just another reason to be happy being raw!

-Eloise