Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 113


It was pointed out to me that I've been talking about 80/10/10 a lot lately, but never actually explained what it is. I know that not everyone around here is raw, so here's a brief rundown.

80/10/10, or 811, is a method of raw veganism in which 80% of your calories come from carbs, 10% from protein and 10% from fat. It's basically eating a low fat raw vegan diet, as opposed to high fat and nut heavy. It's based on this book by Dr Doug Graham. He advocates that most of your diet should consist of fruit, that it's our natural, biological diet, and we should eat it in simple combinations of 2-3 items at most at a time. Mono-meals, an abundance of one fruit, is best and least taxing for the digestive system.

811 is not a low calorie diet and highly encourages exercise. To get the necessary nutrients, it's important to eat around 2000 calories a day and then exercise to burn off about 500 calories. This is a lot of fruit, and I'm actually having trouble eating as much as I should. I just get distracted and forget to eat.

To give you an idea of how my days have been going, this is what I ate yesterday:

7 bananas
3 oranges
1 pear
1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
3 cups spinach
2 cups mango
1 cup papaya
1 oz cashews

It wasn't a great day for me. I only ate 1497 cals, which is way too low. My ratios were decent, though: 84/6/11. I'm using the CRON-o-meter to help track my intake, which is really helpful. Today has been better so far:

5 cups watermelon
3 pints of strawberries
4 bananas
4 dates
3 pears
1 papaya

I'm going to eat a two ears of corn, which will bring me to 2096 and 89/5/6. Corn is crazy high in calories. No wonder why they give it to animals instead of grass to fatten them up. My day was much better on the cals, but I need to work on getting my protein up a bit higher.

I've been hanging out a lot lately at 30 Bananas a Day, which is a great place to be if you have questions or need support in 811. Eating this way makes a lot more sense to me than using cups of nuts in each meal. I feel good so far.

-Eloise

2 comments:

cherrybombpie said...

hi Eloise,

I have also read 80/10/10. I was successful on the diet only recently I begun straying too far off the fat count. (nuts, nuts, nuts)

I too find it hard to eat that much fruti... all the jaw work and it can also get a bit expensive on this diet, don't you think so? Or is it cheaper to just eat regular raw?

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Cherrybombpie!

For me, it's been less expensive. Nuts are really expensive and cutting back on them has really cut my grocery bill. But what gets me is all the sweet all the time. That's what I just wrote an entry about: cutting out savory has made me not want want to even eat raw! So I'm straying a bit and using some oil to make salad dressings. I'll be happier for it.

-Eloise