Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 112

The current state of the fruit table. Minus the watermelon. I cut that up for dinner.

I want to be a runner. I want to be the type of person who says, "I went on a short five mile run this morning" as if it was no big deal. I want to run a marathon. I want to look good in spandex shorts.

My dad's a runner, and it's something I've always really admired about him. I remember being in 6th grade and getting on the bus at an ungodly hour on a cold winter morning. We were all bundled in parkas with hats and mittens. As the bus rolled down my street, we passed my dad who was heading home from his morning run. In shorts. One of the cool boys on the bus exclaimed, "That's so hardcore! That guy's running in shorts!" And I was so proud to say that was my dad. He's run multiple marathons. He ran the Marine Corp marathon in 1994,the same year as Oprah, and passed her on the course. He doesn't run as much lately, but he's still heavily involved with his local runner's club, helping to organize races.

It's not that I haven't had the opportunity or tried before, but I've never gone about it the right way. I always push myself to go too far too fast in the beginning. So that's my motivation to starting Couch to 5k. It's meant to ease a beginner into running through interval training By the middle of the summer, I should be running a little over three miles regularly. That's the plan, anyway.

Today was day one, and it went well. My running was a respectable pace, and I tried to pay close attention to my form, so I don't set myself up for bad habits later on. I didn't get a stitch in my side and I didn't feel like my lungs were going to burst, all of the hallmarks of my previous running experiences. None of the neighbors pounded on the door because of how loud the treadmill is, which I was kind of afraid of. We talked to them, but you never know. Oh, also, instead of timing myself or watching the distance, I'm using this podcast, which is working out really well.

So here's to being more like my dad! I never, ever thought I would say it, but somehow I am becoming more and more like him every day. I kind of accidentally became an engineer, and now the whole running thing. I suppose there are worse things. I'll just skip the mustache, thanks.

-Eloise

5 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

Yeah, I don't think a mustache would become you. Congratulations on getting started on running.

Hey - I wanted to let you know - and this is not meant to offend - that I just noticed your header says "obscence."

Feel free to delete this comment if you don't want others to see it but I wanted to let you know. "Knowing" you from reading your blog, I have a feeling you would want things to be spelled correctly.

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Autismom,

You are absolutely right, typos drive me nuts! I can't believe I didn't see that one before. I am not offended at all, I am grateful! (And a little embarrassed that I let it stay that way for so freakin' long. Oh well.)

-Eloise

Sandra (dienaid @ livejournal) said...

Fierce Flawless and Jukebox are my favorite songs of Ani Di's :D Everything she sings strikes a note in me.

Sandra (dienaid @ livejournal) said...

For some reason it put my Ani Di comment here. Oh well! I also began running very recently and the best part is promising that I will do it, and sticking to that promise.

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Sandra,

I love those two, too! I think every couple of months, my favorite changes. I love how versatile she is.

And yay for running!

-Eloise