Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day 31: BLENDER!

One of the biggest obstacles in going raw for Madeline and I has been outfitting our kitchen with the right equipment. Basically, a food processor, a high speed blender and a dehydrator are critcal to making anything beyond a salad. We really don't have a lot of extra money, so saving up has been sloooow going. We did get the food processor last week, which was the least expensive of the three, and I have to say that it's changed my life; making dinner has gotten much easier.

On the expensive end of the spectrum, was the blender. The two that are constantly recommended in books and on raw sites are the Vitamix and the Blendtec, which both retail for around $400. I love green smoothies as a really easy way to take in a bunch of greens, but my free-from-my-coworker blender is pitiful at making them. Last night, the one I made wasn't too bad (some chewing involved, but it was tolerable), but I made the mistake this morning of following a recipe that said to throw in a whole, unpeeled lime. The taste was fine, but the chunks of lime rind that were in my drink had me gagging. Not good.

So, by coincidence, Mad came acorss a Breville blender that is the daily special today on Buy.com. It's normally $299, but for today only, it's $149.50: Buy.com's daily special

I did some research and here's the comparison at a glance:
Vitamix: 1380 watt motor
Blendtec: 1500 watt motor
Breville: 1000 watt motor
Oster Professional: 373 watt

So it's not as powerful as the "big two," but it's definitely beyond your typical blender. I found another review that said that the Breville 750 watt blender is the only blender at a lower price point that comes close to rivaling the Vitamix (source). By that logic, I figure that the 1000 watt must be even better.

I have no personal stake in this blender (other than hoping I made a good purchase!), but this deal was too good for me to not spread the word to others who have been lusting after a high speed blender. I'll let you know how it works when I've had a chance to try it out.

-Eloise

1 comment:

Ella said...

Blender makes my life easy I dont like eating fruits and vegetables raw.