Monday, March 2, 2009

Day 30

I was hoping to make a March 1st post, but missed it by 30 seconds. Drats.

So one month raw! Whoo!

I got my food processor in the mail the other day, and it's been a regular gourmet feast around here. I've been so excited about it that there's a song and dance that accompanies my trips to the kitchen. So far, I've made:

Banana pudding from Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People
Hummus with crudites*, also from RFMEF1o2P
Pesto from here with zucchini "pasta"
Brownie Bites from The Raw Dessert
Marinara sauce, again with crudites, again from RFMEF1o2P

And our taste buds have been happy, but last night after the brownies, both of us felt rather ill. Way too much heavy, nut-based foods. So week, we're going to keep the desserts to a minimum and up the greens. But the food processor is AWESOME. I love being able to throw ingredients in there and have a great dip or sauce in a matter of seconds. And I used the shredding disk to make zucchini pasta and it was done in all of two seconds. Love, love, love it.

So one month raw. It's been good, but, admittedly, it hasn't been easy. There are times that one or both of us would kill for a french loaf. But for the most part, our entire way of eating has changed, no doubt for the better. I know that I feel better after eating, and I'm much more mindful about what I'm putting into my body. I've had almost no stomach aches and far fewer headaches, and my complexion seems to be a bit smoother and clearer.

The negative? Well, so far, I haven't lost a pound, which is a bit disappointing. Most of that, I'm sure has to do with the avocados and and nuts we've been eating, but it's kind of frustrating to alter everything about my diet and not see any significant physical changes. But honestly, I'm not willing to actually diet, to count calories and restrict myself when I'm hungry. I'm not overweight, I'd just like to look better in my clothes. And I think that what I eat will continue to evolve over time. We would not have made it through the first week without avocados, but it's been about a week and a half since we've had one. We made a lot of dressing in the beginning, but for the last week, I've been having spinach salads with red bell peppers and a couple olives, no dressing. We're getting used to eating more simply. And when it comes down to it, losing weight is not the bottom line. As the weather continues to get warmer, we'll hopefully get out and hike more, and I think that will help.

Onwards to the next month!

-Eloise

*Crudites, for those who don't know, are just chopped up veggies that can be eaten with dips. There's a "recipe" for it in RFMEF1o2P, which made Mad and I laugh when we first looked through the book, but now we find ourselves saying it all the time.

No comments: