Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day 33

Our blender shipped out and it's supposed to arrive on Saturday. I'm so excited! And it's good, because I have been craving green smoothies lately. I've made one each morning for the past couple days, and despite the lime rind debacle the other day, even the bits-o-green that that require chewing haven't deterred me from enjoying them.

Heh, I just found my blender online on Amazon. It's a Toastmaster with a 350 watt motor and the first review says:
This is not a real blender. You have to blend in parts because it doesn't have power. Avoid my mistake to buy this garbage.

That about sums it up. The rest of the reviews are equally glowing. I'm very glad that I didn't pay money for it. The Breville blender we ordered actually has a smoothie button that goes through a program that blends and pulses to mix everything up. I watched a video online. It was very cool. I think that might make me very uncool. :) Don't care.

So the smoothie I made this morning rocked. I'm really wishing I had more, even though I had 24oz. I have these smoothie cups that I bought a year ago when I thought I'd get an Oster blender ( they attach directly to the blender to make single servings). Even without the blender, they're still really convenient for bringing smoothies to go. My only complaint is that they're kind of heavy, since they're meant to double as a blender container. So my routine is to make a smoothie in the morning, fill the to-go cup and drink the leftovers as I'm getting my lunch ready.

Here's today's recipe. Deceptively simple, but so good.

Blue and Green
About 3 cups spinach (not heavily packed)
1 cup blueberries
1 small banana
Water to desired consistency (I used about 1.5c)

Blend and enjoy!

I made myself a "milkshake" last night with frozen bananas, water, soaked cashews, vanilla, cocoa powder and agave, since I thought it was the meals-through-a-straw thing that I've been craving, but no. It's definitely the greens. The fruit and chocolate was nowhere near as satisfying.

In other news, Madeline is sick. She seems to have some sort of stomach bug and the fun details that implies, as well as being very dizzy and easily winded with a slightly elevated temp. She's just not feeling well at all. I'm not convinced that it's not some sort of hardcore detox, but it could also be the Noro virus, which has been taking out people left and right in our area. It's crappy timing, because she has an important certification exam she has to take for work, but there's not really much to be done beyond waiting it out. She home resting and taking in fluids today. *Feel better, lady.*

-Eloise

No comments: