Friday, March 6, 2009

Day 34

I had a weird raw food moment today. I was at work and my supervisor was heading out to a farmer's market on her lunch break. She said, "I've really been craving veggies lately. I'm going to get a bunch of fresh vegetables and roast them!" And I smiled and nodded because she doesn't know I'm eating raw, but in my head I thought, You're going to kill them! It's an odd day when a plate full of cooked veggies seems unhealthy.

As for telling people I'm raw, I've decided not to volunteer the information. Everyone knows I'm vegan, which isn't a big deal in my circle of friends and acquaintances. I do hate when people start to rationalize their own behavior, though. "Oh, it's great that you're vegan! I only eat meat a couple times a week... And just chicken, never red meat... Only free range, of course." Really? Because most omnivores I know eat meat at least once a day, if not more. The poultry industry is far more revolting than the beef industry, and if you eat out and it's not advertised to the hills, that chicken has never seen a door to the outside world. I am generally not a preachy vegan (except to the Greenpeace volunteers who accost me on campus. Because, really, if you're trying to convince a college student who works three jobs to support herself to donate money to fight global warming, shouldn't you not be contributing to its major cause?). I think it's best to live by example and feed omnivores delicious food when given the opportunity, but I really hate apologists. Be unabashed or don't eat meat if you know it's wrong.

But I digress. Raw foodism seems to strike a different nerve in people. One of my coworkers at my weekend job is a 60-something Indian grandmother, and ever since she found out I'm eating raw, she takes every opportunity to tell me how unhealthy it is to eat cold food during the winter. I'm really hoping that will abate as the weather gets warmer, cause it's really irritating. And, of course, there's the ubiquitous protein comment. I don't know. Here's to hoping that the living by example works in this case as well.

Tomorrow is blender day! I'm so excited!

-Eloise

No comments: