Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Day 88

Five 4.5 pounds of Medjool dates. Mmm.

Madeline called me the other night and asked if I wanted to meet her at work to get dinner. I hesitated for the briefest of moments. After all, we'd used up our self-imposed quota of one cooked meal per month with lunch the week prior. But I had been in the library working on research for the past 6 hours and Mad was going to be at work for 18 hours that day. As soon as she mentioned suishi, I was packing my things and heading out the door.

Dinner was fantastic. There's this amazing Japanese restaurant near her work, in a strip mall of all places. You wouldn't expect it to be so cute until you made it inside. We sat across from each other with a platter full of veggie rolls talking about how are days went. Madeline looked exceedingly sexy in her work clothes- dress slacks and shoes, white button up rolled up to the elbows. On a normal night, we change into PJs right after walking through the door and eat on the couch with salad bowls balancing on our bellies. It was just really nice to go out together, and I think it's really good for our relationship.

So this the long way to say that I've been thinking about what it means to eat raw (again), and how it's impacting my life. A lot of good things have come out of it. I am happier, healthier, more energetic, in love with my skin. I am eating much, much better. There are downsides, too, though. I am hyper aware of everything I'm eating, which I don't think is necessarily a good thing. If I had a smoothie for breakfast, a big salad for lunch and fruit throughout the day, I don't want to feel guilty because I had some rice with dinner.

As we're nearing three months, I'm going to let go a little. Everything we make and eat at home will still be raw, but eating out will be flexible. It'll be an occasional treat, as we've never eaten out more that every couple of weeks, anyway, and of course it will always be vegan. But I'm going to stop obsessing over whether or not I've had a cooked meal within the month. I think this is more a change of my state of mind, rather than circumstances, because really, does it make a huge difference to eat a cooked meal every three weeks as opposed to four. Not really. But relaxing and being able to enjoy it instead of feeling like I'm "cheating" is important to me.


It's kind of difficult to talk about being less than perfect here in the open, but I want to create an honest narrative. Eating raw isn't always easy, and it does involve sacrifice, both gastronomical and social. I know that I will never be one of the raw gurus, but I'm okay with that. Health is the goal for me, not purity.

I think I'm also going to expand my horizons here a little and include s0me knitting content every once in a while. I used to have a knitting blog, but I only finish a project every couple of weeks or so. Makes for slow updates. Doing so opens me up to another world of controversy, though.

I knit with wool.

Wool is not considered vegan.

I consider myself vegan.

There, I've said it. I was a knitter prior to being a vegan, and it's the one thing I never gave up. There are very good reasons for opting to abstain from wool, which I will not recapitulate, but direct you here if you're interested.

But I am also a materials engineer with a focus on textiles, and I can tell you that the production of almost every fiber has significant ecological repercussions. Many so-called green fibers are terrible, bamboo and recycled-from-soda-bottle polyester being my biggest pet peeves. Also, science cannot replicate nature, only mimic it if it's lucky, and there is nothing like wool for it's insulative, wicking and shape retention properties. It's good stuff.

So bottom line: I'm really not raw and I'm really not a vegan. Glad we cleared that up.

-Eloise

7 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

Those medjools look super yummy!

Wow, I never knew there is a controversy regarding bamboo. Guess that's what I get for not researching it. So...another think to look into - any favorite sites you can direct me to on bamboo?

Donia said...

i always appreciate your honesty and open-ness. Thanks for sharing your life with us out here. Also, glad that you and Mad had a sweet night out together.

Donia said...

p.s. i still think you are vegan...and raw!

Jeremy Logsdon said...

If it makes you feel any better, you are the rawest vegan I know. :) And for what it's worth, if you are vegan for ethical reasons, as I've gathered from your various posts, I really don't think using wool would go against that. Harvesting wool is truly not harmful to sheep. Now if you were eating lambchops while knitting with wool, well... that would make being vegan a bit tougher. :)

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Autismom!

I think a I'm going to do a post about bamboo in the next few days, because I have a lot of info. I wrote a big research paper that in part covered it, so I'm going to see what I can distill out. Stay tuned!

-Eloise

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hi Donia!

I still think I'm vegan and pretty damn, raw, too. :) I just like to pre-empt the naysayers.

I think it just really bothers me when I read blogs that are so upbeat and everything's so easy all the time. It would be really easy for me to just not include the times when raw is difficult, but some days, it definitely is.

It makes me really happy to hear that you're enjoying what I have to put out there.

-Eloise

Maybe we are rabbits said...

Hey Jeremy!

The thing is, there are a lot of vegans who don't believe in the use of wool. But it just doesn't make sense to me when they wear acrylic as a substitute... it's a lesser material that comes from oil, and as far as I'm concerned, ravaging an eco-system is just as un-vegan, if not more.

When it comes down to it, I'm not really an activist type. I try to do the best I can with the choices I have. Mostly I just wanted to put up a pre-emptive warning in the event that I get called out for not really being vegan.

-Eloise