Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day 18

And we're back!

Apparently, I am a freak of nature in the Apple store. In it's third year, my MacBook is on its third hard drive and third disc drive. You would think that after the first crash, I would have make backups of my files, but no. I live on the edge. Sad to lose pictures and music, but I'll survive without the rest of the clutter.

And the raw thing. Well, we've passed the two week mark, and it's getting easier all the time. I've gotten in the habit of making triple batches of raw dressing to keep in the fridge. When we're pressed for time, it's really easy to grab a veggie and a little to-go container of dressing. I'm trying out different dressings to keep things interesting. First it was the Italian I talked about a while back, then it was a tahini dressing and this week we're doing a sweet mustard dressing from Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People. Love that book.

I've also gotten more adventurous in the kitchen. We've decided that Modays will be our day to go all out, calories be damned. It's my day off, so I have time to spend making something fancy in the kitchen. This Monday, I made peppers stuffed with curried walnut pate (again from Raw Foods Made Easy) and cashew cheese. Took some prep, but definitely worth it.

We have also discovered that our piece-o-crap blender (which was free from a coworker...who can begrudge free?) will handle soups pretty well, if a bit chunky. So last night I made an adaptation of the chili from 12 Steps to Raw Foods, which we topped with a bit of the leftover cashew cheese and had 2 ears of raw corn apiece. SO GOOD. And really quick. A little bit of chopping, but mostly just throwing things in the blender. I have the leftovers for lunch on a bed of spinach today, which I thought of snapping a picture of, but it looks like a hot (cold) mess after swinging around in my tiffin on the way to school. Oh well. I should try to do it as soon as I pack it, but the lighting in our apartment just sucks. I really can't wait to get a Vitamix, but with a bunch of unexpected vet bills this month, the saving is slow going.

I'm finding it really easy to throw together meals with so much fresh food and some basic staples in the house. I think I'll post a list of what we purchase the next time we get food (so Monday).

-Eloise

1 comment:

Becki said...

I have an awful blender, too, so I do my soup in small batches. It seems to work much better, even if it does take a few minutes. I grew up with a Vitamix and it's awesome. It sounds like you're on a roll with making multiple batches, but if you ever want something to just make a single serving, my mom swears by the Magic Bullet.