Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day Seven

One week raw!
 
This is going to be a short post and not the book review intended, because I am exhausted. Nothing raw related, but my weekend job is much more physically labor intensive than my sedentary weekday jobs and I'm just not getting enough sleep (full time school plus three part time jobs is overwhelming at times). 

Last night's lack of sleep was entirely my fault, but very much worth it. In a uncharacteristic display of social interactivity, Madeline and I went to my friend, Bridget's house for drinks. Which are not raw, but are included in my personal exception list (along with dark chocolate, maple syrup and aforementioned tea). It was a lot of fun. Brig and I have three classes together this semester, so we wind up working together frequently. I've been telling her about going raw, which she listens to very politely while partaking in Cheetos and Mountain Dew for breakfast. She thought to buy us a plate of raw veggies to snack on, which was awesome of her. She also bought hummus, because she didn't realize it wasn't raw, but Mad and I brought guacamole with us, so we were set. I think it was a good balance of conscious eating and sociability, which is incredibly important to me. I never had too much trouble going out with friends as a vegan, and similarly, I want to be able to enjoy every aspect of my life as a raw foodist.

Looking around the raw community, I see a lot of percentages being tossed around: 75%, 80% 90% raw%... I supposed if you wanted to argue semantics, Madeline and I have not gone completely raw. But I have no intention of berating myself when I've exchange my pasta and rice for heaping plates of veggies for lunch and dinner. It's a huge change. And so far, so good. I haven't had any of the major detox symptoms like flu symptoms or acne breakouts. I was getting hunger pangs between meals for the first half of the week, but for the last day or two, it seems like my body has adjusted to the amount and frequency of food. I'd even venture to say that I have more energy. I'm tired, certainly, but my body doesn't seem to be so heavily weighed down as it used to at the end of the day. It may be psychological at this point, though. It's still really early on in the game.

I had a little extra money this week, so I purchased The Live Food Factor, which I am very excited to read. The most critical review on Amazon complains that "[t]here are many many many references throughout the entire text of the book, making it a bit of a cumbersome read for me and making it feel a bit like reading a student's research paper", which is exactly the type of book I love. I want to hear the facts and be able to follow up with my own research by going to the original sources. I'm a bit fanatical like that.

This was not short.
-Eloise

No comments: