Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day One

Okay. This has not been an easy day.

I think for the most part, it's a result of a lack of preparation. Really, I read so much about what we should be eating, in terms of nutritional value, but didn't think about what would sustain us and make the transition easier. Plus, tomorrow is my only day off, so we're going to go downtown to the market, Whole Foods and a couple health food stores to buy a week's worth of groceries. In the meantime, we went to a local grocery store last night to pick up basic provisions for the day.

We started out strong: I had a cantaloupe and Maddie had strawberries for breakfast. I packed a decent amount of fruits and veggies to take to work. But we hadn't made a dip or dressing and I was tired of eating plain raw veggies before I was anywhere near full at lunch today. On the way home, I made an emergency stop at Whole Foods to pick up some cold pressed olive oil for dressing and made this:

Italian Dressing
1 large tomato
1 clove garlic
1/4 c water
1/4 c olive oil
2tbl lemon juice
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt

In blender, process all ingredients until smooth and creamy.

I would credit the recipe, but I saved a bunch of them in a text document and lack a source. It was good. I added extra lemon, which made it better. It definitely made "dinner" easier, but I can't really say we ate a meal, and I know we're both feeling pretty unsatiated tonight. All I can think about are starchy, cooked, carb foods. We spent a lot of time looking through recipe books and Gone Raw in preparation of our shopping trip, so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. It may have been better to wait until we could shop properly, but we were very determined to start right on the first, as planned. I think it's good, though. We had the opportunity to see what really doesn't work so that we can plan a better week for ourselves.

As for detox, for me it's hard to say. I started with a bit of a cold or something. I've just been feeling pretty run down and waking up  the past few mornings with a sore throat, so I can't tell what's a result of that and what's caused by eating raw. It's probably too soon to tell, really. I had a low grade headache by the end of the work day, but that's not really unusual. I get headaches all the time, mostly from stress, and the minimal amount of food I ate certainly didn't help. One odd symptom that Mad and I are both experiencing, though, has to do with our eyes. I'd describe it as having difficulty focusing. When we were watching the Superbowl tonight, Maddie said that she wasn't physically tired, but her eyes felt so heavy. Again, though, it might just be because we haven't eaten enough. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

-Eloise

No comments: