Monday, February 2, 2009

Day Two

Avocados are the answer.

Maddie succinctly summed up yesterday: "It went from YEAH to oh, to crap." 

Today started out slow, but got much, much better. We slept in this morning, dawdling in bed. It set everything else back for the day, but really, the time we spend together doing nothing is very much worth it. The UPS guy came while we were still in PJs to deliver the To-go Ware Active Packs I'd ordered as a surprise last week, green for me, black for Mad. I had a coupon for 40% off and had placed an order while Maddie was out of town for training. I even managed to keep the secret until they arrived a week later, and if you knew me, you'd know that I suck at keeping secrets to myself, especially surprises. I get too excited and share the anticipation. That's the best part! I meant to take a picture for some visual interest, but we were rush heading out this morning and the lighting in the apartment is not great. It's much darker than I would prefer, and it's difficult to take decent pictures without natural sunlight. I'll take some in action in the near future.

So once we finally got out of the bed and out of the house, we made the rounds to return some cooked items and to purchase provisions for the week, mostly a metric ton of produce. It was kind of scary how much we managed to spend today, particularly considering that we were only trying to buy food for the week. We were able to get away with spending so little in recent months on crap: beans, bread, flour, etc. We weren't eating well, but we were certainly eating cheaply. I have a feeling, though, that we've bought more than we'll be able to consume in a week, but it's better than running short. 

The day was difficult, as there was little for us to eat in the apartment. We had bananas for breakfast and brought apples to munch on, but we were starving again by the time we got home. We did have plenty of time to talk while running errands, though, and one topic was what we wanted out of being raw. Ultimately for us, it's not about the title or the classification of being 100% raw. At this time, things like raw spices are not of the utmost importance when they are such a nominal part of our diet. Rather, we're striving to eat as raw as possible, but don't want to feel like we're starving ourselves, either. It's not healthy, nor is it sustainable.

With that in mind, we picked up some vegan dark chocolate and a bottle of wine for dessert, which definitely helped to end the night on a better note. For dinner, I made a guacamole that I definitely see becoming a staple:

Guacamole
4 avocados, peeled and pitted
1 small red onion, chopped
handful cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon

Mash together until well combined, but slightly chunky.

It was very, very good. We ate it rolled up in Swiss chard, which was satisfying, and I actually feel full tonight. 

While we were out, we also picked up a bathroom scale at Target. We tried them out in store, and I think we were both shocked at how much we currently weigh. I know that the number is not the end all, be all, and I have to say that I felt pretty damn sexy rolling around in bed this morning, but we're both pretty far from where we started a year and a half ago. I think it will be good motivation to stick to our raw foods, even when the cravings get strong.

No real detox symptoms today. We're still fatigued, but that probably has more to do with not eating enough again for most of the day and then splitting a bottle of wine after dinner.

-Eloise

No comments: